Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sun hat

OK, maybe I am crazy.  Let me give you some background.

I belong to The Crochet Crowd.  Last year when Mickey announced that members of the group could take an Eastern Caribbean or Mexican Rivera crochet cruise in February 2014, I really wanted to go.  However, finances at the time would not allow it.

Then low and behold in February 2014, Mickey announced 2 back to back cruises for February 2015. The first cruise was going to the Eastern Caribbean and the other to Western Caribbean.  Finances were better and I could afford one cruise.  Well, within a few days, both cruises fill up.  I guess I was out of luck again.  
Then at the beginning of April I read where 50 more spaces were opening up.  I decided I was going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise. I saw where there was a Facebook page where you could find a roommate if needed.  So my plan was talk to my husband,  Don,  about spending this much money for a vacation, see if one of my sisters want to go on the cruise, if not, then use the Facebook page to find a roommate.  What does Don turn around and do…. Says a cruise sounds like a great idea.  Let’s get a balcony so we can watch the waves.   We cruised before and he said he really did not care about going on another cruise.  I could not blame him after 20 years in the Navy.  This is not why I feel crazy.

So, we have our balcony stateroom.  Only 252 days until the cruise.   It is almost summer time and I keep seeing patterns for crocheted sun hats.  So I decide I am going to crochet a raffia sunhat for this summer and for the cruise.

First, I tried to find about 300 yards of raffia yarn and it is either expensive or I have to order a large amount.  So what do I do?  I go ahead get 4 bags of raffia from the floral department.   I have been trying to crochet a hat with yard length raffia.  THAT IS WHAT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!  Every 3 feet I have to add on another piece.  Not so bad if the raffia was all the same, but alas it is not.   I will complete this project but will probably go out and buy a sun hat at the end of summer. 

When I finish I will have to post a picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment